This past week in mining included smart and sustainable mining. The Smart Mining report was released and included growth analysis and trends up to 2028. In Mexico, Veracruz added its name to a petition forbidding toxic mining in the state and demanding an environmentally responsible and sustainable industry.
Endeavour Silver is a mid-tier precious metals mining company that owns three high-grade, underground, silver-gold mines in Mexico. Mexico Mining Review sat down with CEO Bradford Cooke and President and COO Godfrey Walton to speak about their experience operating in Mexico.
Curious? Keep reading!
- Veracruz joins the chorus of voices demanding AMLO take mining activity our of their region. The Veracruz Assembly for Environmental Defense Initiatives (LAVIDA) is promoting a petition to forbid toxic mining in the state.
- Although mining exploration has contracted in Mexico, the Minister of Economic Development of Durango, Ramón Dávila, expects the industry to invest at least US$80 million in the state over the course of 2019.
- The New South Wales government broke records for business openings, having held 188 meetings with mining companies over 235 weeks.
- Copper suffered a setback of 0.6 percent per ton on LME to US$6,383.5 from the previous down price of US$6,555.5 per ton due to the European manufacturing performance.
- Part of the mining rights of the historic Mclntyre mine are to be transferred from Timmins back to Goldcorp. What role has Newmont Mining played in this decision? Find out!
- Bolivian mining is pursuing a strong training program in Global Positioning Systems (GPS). TECNOGEO is the company in charge of giving these workshops.
Safety & Sustainability:
- How to build a sustainable mining industry? Learn what Africa is doing to accomplish this goal!
- The Smart Mining Report is out and includes the industry’s growth analysis and trends up to 2028.
- In the past, traditional underground mining used to set canaries free to fly mine tunnels as a system to evaluate poisonous gases. Today, ventilation systems ensure a safe air supply.
For more industry news, follow our blog!